WeaponsCache Forum
Go Back   Weapons Cache Forums > Weapons Discussion > Firearms > NFA/Class 3/Title II
Donate

Site Subcriptions

WeaponsCache RSS Feeds  WeaponsCache on Twitter  WeaponsCache on Facebook  WeaponsCache Store!

or Re-send Activation Email

NFA/Class 3/Title II Talk about your Machineguns, Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Destructive Devices and AOWs here.

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
workshop
workshop
workshop
workshop

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM  Geek is offline     #1 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info
Default Barrett's XM-109 25mm Sniper Rifle

Barrett's XM-109 25mm Sniper Rifle

Posted 5/4/2006

For some long-range sniper missions, a .50 caliber (12.7mm) round just isn’t big enough. The Barrett company, which pioneered the development of the modern .50 caliber sniper rifle, has now built a 25mm sniper rifle (although shoulder cannon may be a more precise term), the XM109. Ten prototype weapons are being made available for testing this month. Designed to destroy light armor, the XM109 is a semi-automatic 25mm rifle that has a 17.6 inch long barrel and an overall length of 46 inches. It weighs in at 46 pounds and has a 5 round magazine. In comparison, the Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle in general use today has a 29 inch barrel, overall length of 57 inches, and weighs in at a mere 32 pounds, with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds.

A spiked bipod is included to steady the XM109 for firing and it has a standard M1319 accessory rail for scopes and other accessories. Barrett will either sell a complete rifle or supply upgrade kits to convert the M107 .50 sniper rifle over to the 25mm configuration, replacing the bolt, upper receiver, and magazine.

To complement this “rifle” is a computerized sight called the BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging Sighting System). BORS is specifically designed for long-range shooting at 1,000 meters and longer distances, measuring and compensating for air pressure, temperature, and the angle of the weapon in relation to the target. Precisely compensating for all these factors and successfully hitting the target on the first shot is possible, but difficult. BORS is designed to take all the sweat-math work out of first-round shots, leaving the operator with simply dialing in the distance to target, selecting the ammunition type, and putting the cross-hairs on the target. Future versions of BORS will incorporate a rangefinder, and night vision capability.

Effective distance armor piercing “lethality” for the rifle is listed at 2000 meters. The 25mm round is derivative design from the AH-64 Apache helicopter’s M789 high-explosive dual purpose (good against armor and personnel) 30mm ammunition and will penetrate at least 50 millimeters of armor plating, making it capable of destroying light armored vehicles, SCUD launchers, and other equipment. According to the ammunition manufacturer, the 25mm round is 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. At some point the system will also be integrated to use 25mm airburst ammunition designed for the OCWS.

One drawback to the weapon is the heavy recoil of the round. Barrett is working on reducing the recoil. Finally, a company slide describes the weapon as a “payload rifle” and also alludes to the ability to remove the muzzle break and replace it with a sound suppressor. – Doug Mohney

http://www.strategypage.com/military...200481522.aspx

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Sponsored Links
Ads only shown to Guests and Regular Members.

Subscribe today and remove this ad!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

Site Subcriptions

Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM  1911shooter is offline     #2 (permalink)
The Guru

Additional Info

And the point to this is what? This is just another fix for a problem that doesnt exist.

1911 is there any other???

A real defense round Starts with a 4 and ends with a 5...

Constitutional Terrorism will not be tolerated!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM  Geek is offline     #3 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

I don't know but you should get one for your long range course

I can't imagine this 25mm would have nearly the same range as the .50BMG. I'm missing the point to it a bit too.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 PM  Kappy is offline     #4 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

And yet... if someone offered me one, I'd take it. And, unlike most gear, I'd keep it. This is especially true when, since it isn't .50BMG, it might be legal here.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM  mojo is offline     #5 (permalink)
Freaky Mojorator

Additional Info

Probably cos they saw this and thought, "Yeah we can do that"!!

We may or may not worship God, but John Moses Browning made sure we can choose.

1911, it's what MOJO shoots.......steel is real....

Proud Infidel...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 PM  trigger is offline     #6 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

I beleave this gun was made more for stopping heavier armored equipment other than personal. I do know that the gun is only sold to the military though it would not be illegal to sell them to the public through the NFA as a destructive device.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM  GUNMAN556 is offline     #7 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
I beleave this gun was made more for stopping heavier armored equipment other than personal. I do know that the gun is only sold to the military though it would not be illegal to sell them to the public through the NFA as a destructive device.
Thats what we were told when initially issued the M107s too,but ya know how that goes. I hear the recoil is pretty nasty on this one! I still wouldnt mind having one to play with for a bit though Hell for that matter I wish I could afford any Barrett,especially a 107!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM  Geek is offline     #8 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

IF a .50 BMG is about $3/pop I wonder what this ammo costs...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM  trigger is offline     #9 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

Well the 20 MM (20 mm x 138 mm Solothurn Long) Lahti L-39 10 years ago were going for $35 a round.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 AM  mustangpalmer1911 is offline     #10 (permalink)

Additional Info

Yes please i would like one .... just in case zombies arnt as dumb as we are told and they can drive cars and what not.

"Possession of arms is often the principal
condition that separates free people from slavery"

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet