WeaponsCache Forum
Go Back   Weapons Cache Forums > Region > International
Donate

Site Subcriptions

WeaponsCache RSS Feeds  WeaponsCache on Twitter  WeaponsCache on Facebook  WeaponsCache Store!

or Re-send Activation Email

International International members can post their laws and political news here!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
workshop
workshop
workshop
workshop

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 AM  justaslide is offline     #1 (permalink)

Additional Info
Default Austrian gun laws

okay, as promised, here the summary of Austrian gun laws. I tried to keep it short and simple. I am not sure if that's the right forum though...I guess an international forum would be a nice idea

okay here is the summary

First of all I want to start with the different licences.
There are two types of licences: one for having a weapon and the normal concealed weapons licence. Both of those licences allow you to have a maximum of 2 weapons, so if you have both licences you can have four. Nevertheless, you can fill out an application for having more weapons (my dad has about 9 right now).

For getting the so called “owning-licence” :
 Reliable
 Your criminal record does not have to be spotless
 Proof that you know how to handle a weapon properly (so called Weapons-drivers-licence, you have to renew it every 2 years)
 You have to be 21
 And you have to give a reason why you want to have the licence

Furthermore you have a psychological test.
As a reason you have to option: sport, or self-defence (obviously they check that)
If you just have that type of weapon, ammo and gun have to be in separate lockable safes/closets.

The concealed weapons licence is also a licence for having special weapons, which are subject to approval (category B), or in some cases for having forbidden weapons (category A). You can also have reportable weapons of category C, and other weapons of category D.
Mostly you get the concealed licence for having handguns, but there are just a few people who are eligible for that kind of licence, and they have to prove their reason.

For getting this licence:

 Reliable
 Your criminal record does not have to be spotless
 Proof that you know how to handle a weapon properly (so called Weapons-drivers-licence, you have to renew it every 2 years)
 A proof of your employer that you need a weapon
 You have to be 21
 And you have to give a reason why you want to have the licence

Typical reasons: being a hunter or for your job (police, sometimes taxi drivers)
You are just allowed to have 2 weapons on your concealed weapons licence, for the others you need to have the “owning-licence”.
You can carry that gun wherever you want to, BUT you are not allowed to cause a public nuisance. (so how can you not cause a public nuisance when you are running around with a gun in Austria? Answer: you will always cause a public nuisance)

Okay now to the categories I mentioned above:

it's Category, Kind of weapon,Examples, Purchase, Carrying

A:Munitions, forbidden weapons -->Pump guns, full automatic weapons, silencers, brass knuckles-->Just with special permit-->Just with special permit

B Weapon which are subject to approval Handguns, semi-automatic weapons, lever/pump/slide action rifles, With “owning-licence”, concealed weapons licence Concealed weapons licence

C Reportable weapons Repeating rifles, break-action firearms, drillings You have to be 18 Owning licence, hunting licence

D Other guns Shotguns (Break action) You have to be 18 Owning licence, hunting licence

No category Soft air guns >0,08 joule pneumatic weapon You have to be 18
-
Toy Soft air under 0,08 joule Under 18 -

Comments

Thanks!

Great post. Really informative.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Sponsored Links
Ads only shown to Guests and Regular Members.

Subscribe today and remove this ad!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

Site Subcriptions

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM  hawkeyes3006 is offline     #2 (permalink)

Additional Info

I would have gotten arrested a few times already if I lived there..

Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM  Kappy is offline     #3 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

Great write-up.

Very interesting. How high is the burden of proof on these? What constitutes need? Let's say I've received threats... does that count as a need?

Do they have limits on what guns you are allowed to purchase? Model, make, etc?

What would be the purpose for owning a silencer, according to the gov't?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:54 PM  justaslide is offline     #4 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Great write-up.

Very interesting. How high is the burden of proof on these? What constitutes need? Let's say I've received threats... does that count as a need?

Do they have limits on what guns you are allowed to purchase? Model, make, etc?

What would be the purpose for owning a silencer, according to the gov't?
okay, as for the silencers, they are illegal...completely!
if you receive threats as a goldsmith, you would get a gun. But if you get threats as a "normal" person, you won't get one.
as a proof you have to bring either a statement of your employer (security agency, hunter,...) or if you are a gold smith or in general people who have a risky job... like if you are a taxi driver...
and no there are no limits of how many you are allowed to have of one model or make...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM  Kappy is offline     #5 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

Huh. Very interesting.

I was going to just pick up and move to Texas or something, but I was afraid all that freedom would go to my head.

Then I was thinking maybe Austria... but... it seems maybe harder than it is here to get a gun.

Thing is... I've had my life threatened multiple times, but I doubt that being a teacher counts, according to them, as a credible cause for owning a gun, let alone carrying one.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 AM  justaslide is offline     #6 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
Huh. Very interesting.

I was going to just pick up and move to Texas or something, but I was afraid all that freedom would go to my head.

Then I was thinking maybe Austria... but... it seems maybe harder than it is here to get a gun.

Thing is... I've had my life threatened multiple times, but I doubt that being a teacher counts, according to them, as a credible cause for owning a gun, let alone carrying one.
yeah you are right, it's quite hard to get a gun here in Austria. and you don't need a gun here, when you are a teacher. You won't get threatened here. In my whole high school time, we didn't have one fight in my school. nothing.
the worst thing that happened was a dead cat in the boys restroom.

oh and now the government wants a licence for bows too.
and police officers are worrying that they just get tasers in the future...

(i know my English is horrible )

Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 AM  mustangpalmer1911 is offline     #7 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaslide View Post
English ant that bad just look at mine.

"Possession of arms is often the principal
condition that separates free people from slavery"

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM  Kappy is offline     #8 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

As someone in the know, I'll tell you that it isn't. It's actually better than many of my students. It's better than a lot of folks here...

Besides, even if it weren't, this is an internet forum. We don't stand on ceremony here.

If anyone tried to correct your grammar, or even comment on it, I'd be forced to go back and show them their fifty most recent grammatical errors.

(i know my English is horrible )[/quote]
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Kappy; 09-28-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM  justaslide is offline     #9 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
As someone in the know, I'll tell you that it isn't. It's actually better than many of my students. It's better than a lot of folks here...

Besides, even if it weren't, this is an internet forum. We don't stand on ceremony here.

If anyone tried to correct your grammar, or even comment on it, I'd be forced to go back and show them their fifty most recent grammatical errors.

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

lol well, I have been studying English for 8 1/2 years now... but I definitely want to improve it (especially when I'm going to college). the stupid thing is that I just had 3 lessons per week...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM  hawkeyes3006 is offline     #10 (permalink)

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaslide View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
lol well, I have been studying English for 8 1/2 years now... but I definitely want to improve it (especially when I'm going to college). the stupid thing is that I just had 3 lessons per week...[/QUOTE]

I've been telling you that your English is fine forever now!!
I can understand everything you say just as well as somebody who was born in the states..sometimes people from the states are the ones I can't understand! Plus, if people give you crap about your English when we get home, I'm sure I can get a couple of these guys together and we can strike some fear into their hearts with the small Army worth of weapons we all own!