WeaponsCache Forum
Go Back   Weapons Cache Forums > Weapons Discussion > Gun Reviews
Donate

Site Subcriptions

WeaponsCache RSS Feeds  WeaponsCache on Twitter  WeaponsCache on Facebook  WeaponsCache Store!

or Re-send Activation Email

Gun Reviews Share your personal experiences and opinions on a particular weapon in here.

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
workshop
workshop
workshop
workshop

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM  trigger is offline     #1 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info
Default 44 AutoMag Pistol review and information

The .44 Auto Mag Pistol is one of the more interesting pistols ever produced. This gun was the brain child of Harry Sanford and was originaly produced in three calibers .44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol) , .41JMP (Jurras Mag Pistol) and .357 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol) cartriges. It was designed as a pistol for hunting. There were many interesting innovations in this pistol, first was that all three calibers used the same magazine. This was accomplished buy making the .41 JMP and .357AMP as necked cartriges. The gun was also designed for quick caliber changes, by just pulling the bolt back with an empty magazine in the gun the bolt would lock in the open position,
then by rotating a switch near the front of the trigger guard on the left side

the barrel could be removed and replaced with a different caliber or barrel length and the gun was ready to go.This gun also is one of the few semi auto pistol that has a rotating bolt like the M 16.

The bolt has locking lugs that lock into the chamber on the barrel assembly.
These guns also had a trigger tension adjustment incorporated in to the trigger.

There were only 10,000 of these unique guns ever made. Though there were a number of different models and manufacturers. The one pictured here is mine and is one of only 200 produced. There were also a handful of sets made that had the one grip and .44 AMP and ..357 AMP barrels. In it's day it was the most powerful pistol made. All the automags produced prior to 1985 are currently on the BATFE C&R list as a curio & relic.
The guns also came with a package of special tools and a magazine loader.This was one gun that you definitely wouldn't want to be on the business end of.

History

As taken from Wikipedia

In 1970, Auto Mag Corporation president Harry Sanford opened a factory in Pasadena, California. The first gun was shipped on August 8th, 1971 and the factory declared bankruptcy on May 3rd, 1972 after making fewer than 3000 guns. Production guns were made in .44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol). Experimental pistols were made in .45ACP, .30AMP and .357AMP. Except for the .45ACP guns, changing calibers required only the additional barrel and cartridges. The same frame, magazine and bolt could be used on both.

Auto Mag Corporation was short-lived for several reasons. The design team that took the Auto Mag pistol from a fully functional and working Chrome-Moly steel prototype designed by Max Gera,[2] to a more complicated and less reliable stainless steel pistol disagreed with Harry Sanford about how the company should proceed. The design team was convinced the Auto Mag pistol was not ready for production and could not be produced at a profit. The design team also believed that even with the correct finished design, the wholesale price of the gun had to be greatly increased or the company would go bankrupt. The design team was unable to convince Sanford, and they all resigned. The pistol was then rushed into production by a group that were not concerned with the gun making a profit but only that it got into production ASAP. This led to expensive manufacturing processes, and later Pasadena guns were not fitted well as there was a constant push to get product out the door.

Severe underpricing of the Auto Mag pistol to indicate huge market demand to potential investors made success impossible. A final analysis showed that the Auto Mag Corporation lost more than $1,000 on each pistol (as was predicted by Max Gera when he sold his stock in the company over one year earlier); each pistol sold wholesale for around $170. The pistols originally sold retail for $217.50. Used Auto Mag pistols now sell for around $2,000.

Between 1971 and 2002 the Auto Mag would wear eleven different names.

1) AM, Pasadena, California (Made in Pasadena, CA) 2) TDE, North Hollywood, California (Made in El Monte, CA) There was never a North Hollywood factory. 3) TDE, El Monte, California (Made in El Monte, CA) 4) TDE, El Monte, California, High Standard (Made in El Monte, CA) 5) TDE, El Monte, California, Lee Jurras (Made in El Monte, CA) Most custom work by Lee E. Jurras 6) TDE, El Monte, California, Kent Lomont (Made in El Monte, CA) Custom work by Kent Lomont 7) TDE / OMC, El Monte, California (Made in El Monte, CA) 8) AMT, Covina, California (Receivers made in Covina, CA Guns assembled in Irwindale, CA) 9) AMC, Covina, California (Receivers made in Covina, CA Guns assembled in Irwindale, CA) 10) AM, Irwindale, California (Made in Irwindale, CA) 11) AM, Sturgis, South Dakota (Some made in Hesperia, CA and some were made in Sturgis, SD)

In 1983 the Auto Mag pistol was featured in the fourth Dirty Harry movie, "Sudden Impact". Clint Eastwood's character Harry Callahan uses his .44 Auto Mag pistol to kill Mick the Rapist after Harry loses his .44 magnum revolver in a fist fight.

In 1987 the Eddie Murphy movie Beverly Hills Cop II featured the 44 Automag and the spent cartridge cases as a plot device to locate the alphabet bandit.

Lee Jurras, of Super Vel ammunition, commissioned a limited run of Auto Mags to be given the LEJ-prefix on their serial numbers. They were to be custom-made to his specifications and were chambered in .44AMP, .357AMP and for his wildcat .41JMP (Jurras Mag Pistol). Some of Jurras's custom guns had shoulder stocks, high polish jobs, gold plating, engraving, etc.[1]

The Auto Mag design gave birth to three new cartridges: the .44 Auto Mag (.44 AMP), .357 Auto Mag (.357 AMP) and the lesser-known .41 JMP.[1] There were barrels made to shoot other cartridges.

1) .45ACP (Only an experiment) 2) .44AMP 3) .357AMP 4) .300AMP (Different shoulder angle than the .30LMP) 5) .41JMP 6) .30LMP (Lomont Magnum Pistol) 7) .25LMP (Lomont Magnum Pistol) 8) .22LMP (Lomont Magnum Pistol) 9) .45ACP Magnum (Only an experiment) 10) .45 Win Mag 11) .40KMP (Kincel Maynard Pistol) (Only an experiment) 12) .475 Auto Mag (Only an experiment)

Ammunition

The .44 Auto Mag Pistol (AMP) cartridge was introduced in 1971.[1] Its rimless, straight wall case was originally formed by trimming the .308 Winchester or .30-06 case to 1.30 inches (33 mm).[1] Loaded ammunition was once available from the Mexican firm of Cartuchos Deportivos Mexico and from Norma (a Swedish firm), which also produced empty cases.[1] Today loaded ammunition is available from Cor-Bon, and new .44 AMP brass is available from Starline Brass. The Wildey corporation has added the .44 AMP to it's caliber choices for the Wildey magnum pistol. The dedicated handloader can also form AMP cases from .30-06 or .308 Winchester brass, using a series of forming dies and an inside neck reamer.[1]

The .357AMP round went into production in 1972 with the North Hollywood guns.[1] It is similar to the .44 AMP, but is necked down to accept the smaller diameter bullet. The same is true for the .41JMP, .30, .25 and .22LMP.[1]

Statistics

Auto Mag Pistol

Chambering: .44 AMP (Auto Magnum Pistol) [10.74x33 mm] (1970), .357AMP [9x33 mm] (1972), .41JMP (Jurras Mag Pistol) [10.41x33 mm](?).
Barrel Length: 6.5 inches.
Overall Length: 11.5 inches.
Weight: 57 oz (3 lb 9 oz) (1.62 kg) [.44 AMP]; 54 oz (3 lb 6 oz) (1.53 kg) [.357 AMP].
Magazine: 8-round single-column box magazine.
Sights: Adjustable target sights.
Finish: Stainless steel.
Furniture: Two-piece black polyurethane (AMP models) or holly or ebony wood (JMP model) grips.
Features: Ribbed barrel.
Production: 1970-2002
Price: Original retail $217.50 later increased to $275 ($425 for a paired .44 AMP and .357 AMP barrel kit)
[edit] Other calibers
AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool) manufactured several firearms under the Automag name, not the Auto Mag name, including the AMT AutoMag II in .22 WMR, AMT AutoMag III in .30 Carbine, AMT AutoMag IV in .45 Winchester Magnum and AMT AutoMag V in .50 Action Express. There was also a Baby Auto Mag made in .22LR.

AutoMag Web Site

Auto Mag Pistol Parts - automag parts

Ian's AMT Information site

Auto Mag Review

Since my gun is unfired and I'm not planing to shoot it makes it impossable for me to review the gun. Though I have shot a couple Auto Mags in the past and found them to be accurate, fairly easy to aquire a site picture, the gun fits comfortablely in the hand with a natural point (all most like pointing your finger) and dosn't have an excessive recoil. Both of the guns I have shot were very diffrent when it came to reliability and I felt that it came down to the ammo since both were owned by diffrent individuals and both reloaded one shot his all the time and owned appx. 12 Auto Mags, his was very reliable since there were no failures to feed, where the other persons gun was shoot rarely and his would have failure to feed often I felt while shooting his gun that the cartriges were improperly sized. I also feel that the gun deserves a better review than I could give so I included one done by Tony Rumore.

(Comparative Reviews By Tony Rumore)

This pistol has very small grip for a magnum autoloader and in fact is smaller in circumference than a Glock 17 9mm. It is very well made and caliber conversions require only a barrel swap to go between the 44AMP, 41 JMP, 357 AMP, 30 LMP, etc. This gun has the best design to facilitate caliber swaps since the sights remain on the barrels, hence there is no need to resight the gun after going to a different barrel. Sights are very nice, as is the trigger and overall handling characteristics of the pistol. This is the easiest of the magnum autos to hit long range targets off-hand. Though the DE is more accurate off the bench, the AutoMag is more accurate when the operator must hand hold the piece. This is mostly due to the superb trigger and better grip ergonomics than the DE. Drawbacks to the AutoMag are that it is not easily scoped and since the barrel moves back and forth during cycling it tends to break scopes in the heavier calibers. Obviously, ammunition is a problem if you do not reload, but if you are a reloader, 44 AMP brass is now available from Starline. Also, all of the necked down calibers use a thick neck, so there is no need to inside neck ream when forming the cases, even down to the 30 LMP. Reliability of the AutoMag is good, but not perfect. Mine tends to have an ejection failure approximately 1 in 150 rounds or so. I have shot a couple of hogs with this gun, one at 55 yards with a 6.5" 41 JMP barrel and one at 85 yards with a 8.5" 41 AMP barrel, both iron sighted off-hand. This is a very nice gun and if you are an experimenter, hand loader, and basic gun nut, this is the magnum pistol for you. If you want to buy off the shelf ammo and shoot your gun all day every day, this is not a good choice since the gun does require more maintenance than others.

Comments

Nive write up

Last edited by trigger; 09-01-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Sponsored Links
Ads only shown to Guests and Regular Members.

Subscribe today and remove this ad!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

Site Subcriptions

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM  mojo is offline     #2 (permalink)
Freaky Mojorator

Additional Info

Damn trigger, nice pistol indeed. Now, where can I get one...........

We may or may not worship God, but John Moses Browning made sure we can choose.

1911, it's what MOJO shoots.......steel is real....

Proud Infidel...

Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM  trigger is offline     #3 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

The best place to go is Gun Broker. Though there were a few made by AMT which are not the original but if youlook you'll usualy find one or two for sale. Heres a few links.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=165935408

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=165677749

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=166255855

Last edited by trigger; 04-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM  Boriqua is offline     #4 (permalink)
VIP Member

Additional Info

That is a damn cool gun! do you take it out or is it strictly collector piece?
Alex

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM  Geek is offline     #5 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

Wow. That's real sweet. Nice pictures.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 AM  Larry D. is offline     #6 (permalink)
10,000th Poster

Additional Info

Holy Moly!
Nice pistol, Trigger.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 AM  trigger is offline     #7 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
That is a damn cool gun! do you take it out or is it strictly collector piece?
Alex
I bought the gun in unfired condition since there are only around 200 of them this one will stay a safe queen as long as I have it. I do have two friends that have fired ones so if I get the urge I'll go shoot theirs.

Of the links that I put with the previous post the bottom link is the best deal there. just the accessories shown are valued from $800 to $1,000.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM  trigger is offline     #8 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

I actualy found alot more info after the first post on the gun and added it to the original post. Hope you guys give it a second look. I especialy like the close up vid of the action when it's fired seeing the recoil and at the end when it goes to battery you can see the bolt twist and lock in...

Last edited by trigger; 05-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 AM  Hollowpoint is offline     #9 (permalink)

Additional Info

Nice...sorta looks like a Ruger Mark II or III on steroids..lol.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM  Geek is offline     #10 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

Is that your pistol, trigger? If so I'll move it to the reviews section and add it to the giveaway thread