WeaponsCache Forum
Go Back   Weapons Cache Forums > Weapons Discussion > Gun Reviews
Donate

Site Subcriptions

WeaponsCache RSS Feeds  WeaponsCache on Twitter  WeaponsCache on Facebook  WeaponsCache Store!

or Re-send Activation Email

Gun Reviews Share your personal experiences and opinions on a particular weapon in here.

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
workshop
workshop
workshop
workshop

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 PM  HurricaneKev is offline     #1 (permalink)

Additional Info
Default Glock 23c Review

GLOCK 23C REVIEW
Let’s face it Glocks are amongst the most durable and dependable pistols on the market. There is a reason why its dependability is compared to that of the infamous “Lube n clean with vodka and shoot” Avtomat Kalashnikova or simply AK47.
I bought my Glock 23c new in box for $450 out the door (thank God for Law Enforcement discount) about a year ago after I completed the police academy here in California. At first I was not too fond of the Glock pistols; they looked like cheap plastic toys and I did not like the fact that it didn’t have an external safety. Actually, my first pistol was an HK USP 45c. Yes, I started off with a .45ACP. If it had not been for the thousands of rounds at the range and being around them for 6 months, I would have never fallen in love with the Glock.
The reason why I chose the Glock 23c over all the other models was because the availability of .40SW in the law enforcement community and I am not going to lie I loved the look of the as my SWAT buddy would call it “viper nostril” on the compensated models. The Glock 23c is the compact model - the same size of the Glock 19. It was neither too big nor too small. It was simple, easy to use, and shot every time I wanted it to shoot.

Being a lefty, I have learned that most pistols with an external safety are made for you crazy people out there that shoot right hand dominate. I learned the whole external safety thing is overrated. As long as you follow the 4 critical rules of guns safety then there is no need for something that can slow you down in a self-defense situation but that’s just my opinion.
The Glock 23c came in a little black carrying case. It came factory-tested with the shells in a nice little manila envelope. It also came with two 10-round (Dang you commifornia!!!) magazines and a magazine loader which I NEVER use. The magazines is easy and fast to load. I currently have them topped off with Winchester Ranger 180 gr JHP.

I added Clip draw to it. It is pretty low profile and eliminates the need for a holster. I would not recommend carrying it with a round in the chamber but I am still non LE and do not have a CCW so for carrying around the house or out camping it does the job. It is a pretty neat idea. It replaces the plastic back plate on the slide and screws on a clip to the replacement metal plate. That cost me around $20 at the local gun shop.
I still have the original plastic sights on it. I am still trying to save up for a nice set of night sights. Right now I am eyeballing the Truglo TFOs and the Trijicon night sights. I really like the Trijicon I have on my HK USP. One thing I did was color in the front sight a nice fluorescent green so it makes it easier to pick up that front sight when I’m shooting. I know… A poor boy solution to night sights.

Range Time

Always follow the firearms safety when you are handling the handguns. I cannot stress that enough, especially with Glocks. If you are the type that likes to finger bang your pistol then you should not be handling Glocks or any handguns for that matter.
Shooting the Glock 23c is easy and comfortable experience. I did the “the $.25” Glock trigger job so it breaks a bit lighter and crisper than the factory Glock 5.5 lb triggers. The recoil of the .40SW is a bit snappier than my .45ACP but basically has no muzzle flip. I think the compensated barrel has something to do with that. I do not see the “giant” flame when I shoot my Glock 23c but my range buddies can notice the difference depending on the ammunition I am using. Cheaper ammunition tends to make a bigger “flame” but it does not affects my vision in low light situations.
It points and shoots naturally for me. It definitely points differently from my HK USP but all that range time and practice with the Glock in the academy has gotten me used to it. It is more accurate than I can shoot and I can put all 10 rounds on a paper plate at 15 yards – Not a sharpshooter but above average. In the picture below I am trying to hit a steel target @ 200 yards... Never hit that dang thing but my buddy did.

Overall

I am really glad I purchased the Glock 23c. It is by far my favorite pistol. It is simple and reliable. I am comfortable shooting it. There are countless aftermarket parts for Glocks. They are kind of like the Mr. Potato head of handguns, you can basically add anything to them – Heck, I have seen bayonet on Glocks. I plan on maybe purchasing a 9mm conversion barrel from Lonewolf Distributors to make my 23c cheaper to shoot. This is not my first and only Glock and I hope to add more to my collection in the future.

Comments

Really nice review!

Gave the thread 5 stars and + rep for you ;)

good review!

Nice review

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Sponsored Links
Ads only shown to Guests and Regular Members.

Subscribe today and remove this ad!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

Site Subcriptions

Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 PM  mojo is offline     #2 (permalink)
Freaky Mojorator

Additional Info

Nice review there Kev

We may or may not worship God, but John Moses Browning made sure we can choose.

1911, it's what MOJO shoots.......steel is real....

Proud Infidel...

Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 PM  Sig_229_Elite is offline     #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

Additional Info

Very nice review
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are, I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can not find them they make them" George Bernard Shaw

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 AM  Geek is offline     #4 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

I really like how you included this photo:

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM  trigger is offline     #5 (permalink)
Avenging Angel

Additional Info

Nice through review. Nice to see you took the time to do it right.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 AM  Geek is offline     #6 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

Have you ever shot the non-C Glock 23?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:37 AM  HurricaneKev is offline     #7 (permalink)

Additional Info

I have shot the glock 22 in the academy, but not the 23.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 AM  Geek is offline     #8 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

I had a Glock 23 and I really liked it. I'd like to handle a 23c sometime. The reason I'm asking is because the Compensated Glocks cause night blindness if shot at night (so I hear). I'm wondering if the compensator helps out enough to be warranted.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 AM  Geek is offline     #9 (permalink)
Founder, admin

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKev View Post
I have shot the glock 22 in the academy, but not the 23.
Are you LEO?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 AM  HurricaneKev is offline     #10 (permalink)

Additional Info

I am unfortunately still not LEO. Passed POST but still waiting to get picked up somewhere.

Tell you truth not much of difference between glock 22 and 23c. I don't know if it'll be much different from the 23. I guess the only thing I worried about is shooting too close to your clothes or face in confined space but if I am ever in that situation i'll be too worried about taking out "threat".
I would definitely try a compensated model before you get one. I am not going to lie I got the comp because of the unique look. Thank you guys for positive review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Are you LEO?