WeaponsCache Forum
Go Back   Weapons Cache Forums > Weapons Discussion > Firearms > Rifles > AR15
Donate

Site Subcriptions

WeaponsCache RSS Feeds  WeaponsCache on Twitter  WeaponsCache on Facebook  WeaponsCache Store!

or Re-send Activation Email

AR15 This is the dedicated area for the AR15 and the other related variants.

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
dependence-gunshot
workshop
workshop
workshop
workshop

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM  Kappy is offline     #1 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info
Default Teach me about AR-15s

A few days ago, my wife and I made an agreement wherein I would put off my purchase/assembly of an AR-15 for between 18 and 24 months. This was part of the deal to purchase my most recent pistol. Now... normally, when I buy a firearm, I do a crapload of research. I made a mistake once with my first centerfire pistol, and I don't want that to happen again.

Between now and that time, I'll be saving. I'll have approximately $1500-$2500 saved up by that point. I figure that should buy me something decent.

So... what do I need to know about purchasing parts? What are the basic units I need? I know I need an upper and lower receiver... but those are the only words I've picked up in conversation.

Are there basic philosophies behind different builds?

Any help is welcome. Don't worry about being overly explanatory. I'm sure it will help other folks in the future as well.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Sponsored Links
Ads only shown to Guests and Regular Members.

Subscribe today and remove this ad!

- Advertise on WeaponsCache -

Site Subcriptions

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM  phatdoughnut is offline     #2 (permalink)
Founding Member

Additional Info

Lower upper, lower parts kit(lpk), butt stock kit....

1500-2500 will buy you a pretty decent pre built one.

My theory behind building one is "savings"... I opted to buying a pre assembled upper because it was cheaper than piecing one together. Another nice thing about piecing an ar together is that you can buy upgraded parts as you go instead of buying twice.

my ar pistol I just bought a model 1 sales kit because it was cheap along with my 50 dollar lower.

What do YOU want? 16", 20" or???

If I had 2500 dollars I would buy a factory sbr with a monolithic upper(1500ish) and then take the rest and build something else.......

Thats just me though..

Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 PM  swampfoxammo is offline     #3 (permalink)
Fallen Member - RIP

Additional Info

Check out Rock River Arms website. They are the stuff for that range of money.

Remember, It's easier to get out of Jail than out of the ground.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 PM  twisted is offline     #4 (permalink)
are we there yet???

Additional Info

Kappy, look at Rainier Arms Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Taking the AR15 to new heights.
and look at Bravo company Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

make sure you get a barrel with a 5.56 chamber or a .223 wylde! so you can shoot 5.56v and .223 ammo.
if you get a .223 chamber you can only shoot .223 ammo!!!!

make sure you get a chrome lined barrel or a stainless barrel, they dont wear out as fast, and stainless last longest.

remember there are only a handfull of manufacturers for uppers and lowers, do your research and cut out the middle man, and it will save you money.

i learned abefore my 1st build stick with milspec on your triggers, the fancy stuff can cause you alot of headaches if you dont know what your messing with!

make sure you dont skimp on your BGC! a properly staked gas key is a MUST for your saftey!

most of the rest is functional cosmetics that are suited to your liking.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams

"A man should always conduct himself in such a way that no one would suspect his ruthlessness".

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM  twisted is offline     #5 (permalink)
are we there yet???

Additional Info

you can build a BAD ASS AR15 for the money you are talkin and have some left over for ammo that would blow a RRA,DPMS,and Bushmaster out of the water!!!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams

"A man should always conduct himself in such a way that no one would suspect his ruthlessness".

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM  Kappy is offline     #6 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
you can build a BAD ASS AR15 for the money you are talkin and have some left over for ammo that would blow a RRA,DPMS,and Bushmaster out of the water!!!
That's part of why I'm alloting myself so much time and money for it. Any builds you can post up would be welcome. What's a BGC?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM  twisted is offline     #7 (permalink)
are we there yet???

Additional Info

BGC is bolt carrier group
Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Bolt Carrier Assemblies | Bolt Carrier Assembly: LMT

as far as build, meaning parts list type thing or and actual build i have done?
i am currently awaiting parts for a .300 black out build you may want to follow

i can also do a run down for you on my current set up and why i used what i did if youd like

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM  twisted is offline     #8 (permalink)
are we there yet???

Additional Info

also Kappy what barrel length are you considering? are you after long range accuracy or a shorter CQ length for SHTF?
can make a difference in parts to use and gas tube length.
i would avoid carbine length if possible, mainly because the extra heat and grunge in the upper assembly can cause premature wear on parts. with that said i run a carbine gas system but i was dead set on my particular barrel so i had no choice.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 AM  Kappy is offline     #9 (permalink)
The Kapperator

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
BGC is bolt carrier group
Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Bolt Carrier Assemblies | Bolt Carrier Assembly: LMT

as far as build, meaning parts list type thing or and actual build i have done?
i am currently awaiting parts for a .300 black out build you may want to follow

i can also do a run down for you on my current set up and why i used what i did if youd like
Well... that's an interesting topic right there... as far as caliber. What is the purpose of the .300 blackout and what is the cost as far as purchase/reloading/availability/performance?

I was thinking .223 would be best for me because it's a really common caliber. I'd get the .556 and then just shoot .223 in it... I would think.

Someone was trying to sell me the idea of a Sig .556. I can't help but think that buying a finished rifle like that which doesn't really invite modification is somehow cheating myself.

This makes me think... I should make a post about what the best caliber is and why...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM  twisted is offline     #10 (permalink)
are we there yet???

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Someone was trying to sell me the idea of a Sig .556. I can't help but think that buying a finished rifle like that which doesn't really invite modification is somehow cheating myself.
watch this vid on the sig 556, now keep in mind this is a 7.62 not a 5.56 but i hear the problems are the same.

Comments

This is sad, thanks for sharing